Business hours

11.03.-01.11.2017

guided tours:
daily from 09.00 - 17.00 o'clock

castle restaurant:
daily from 10.00 - 18.00 o'clock

Guided tour in English language daily at 12.00 and 15.00 hrs.

Events

LOUIS RAVENÉ

The Huguenot family originally came from Metz and came to Berlin in 1685 as religious refugees. The family ran a brass and bell foundry. The Ravené Company had its origins in the iron trading company Samuel Gottlieb Butzer which was founded in 1722. Jakob R. married the daughter of the iron trader on 14.08.1775. After the death of his father-in-law in the same year he took over the business.

In 1824 Jakob R. signed the business over to both his sons and his son-in-law. His son Pierre took on the running of the business on his own in 1833 and under his management the renowned business became a wholesale company. His son, the erector of the castle, Jacob Louis Fredéric R. had a large active share in the rise of the company under his father’s management, he then took over the control of the company and enlarged it. He married Therese Elisabeth Emelie von Kusserow in 1864, who bore him three children before falling in love with a house guest called Gustav Simon.

She was separated from her husband in 1874. Although he wanted to save their marriage, he did not succeed. He died in the Czech spa resort in 1879. Not so many years after Ravené’s death Theodor Fontane read in the newspaper about the auction sale of Mr Ravené’s plant collection and wrote a novel called “L’Adultera”. He based the novel’s character van der Straaten on Mr. Ravené. In 1854 Ravené received the 4th class red eagle medal. The title of councillor of commerce was bestowed on him in 1862. He was an honorary citizen of the towns Ilmenau in Thüringen and Cochem. An imported palm from the Comoro Island Johanna was named after him in 1879 as palm Ravenea Hildebrandti.

His son, Dr. Louis Ferdinand Auguste Ravené was 12 years old when his father died. He took on the family business in 1887 and in 1888 he married Martha Helene Wilhelmine Ende in Berlin, who was the daughter of the family architect, Hermann Ende. After his wife died he got married for a second time to Elisabeth Cäcile von Alten.

He died in 1944 in Potsdam. His grave is to be found alongside that of his first wife’s in Marquardt, a district of Potsdam.